Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tallahasse Here I Come - April 29, 2008 - Journal Entry

Got up at 2:30 a.m. - finished packing and weighing luggage. Had to leave behind shampoo and lots of hangers for proper weight. Got in the van with 2 Elders and a Sister going to PA. It was weird driving across Provo/Orem to get to the freeway, I kept thinking if you turn here I'll be home.

Made it to the airport safely. We met Br. & Sister Palmer from Southern Florida at the airport. Both were converted by Sister missionaries. Then Dad showed up - I was so excited! We didn't say much, we didn't need to, I just basked in his presence and smell. I love the way Dad always makes me feel safe.

Boarded the plane and said good-bye to the mountains (drawing of mountains). I don't know how I'll feel in this flat place called Florida. Don't know what will happen later today. I do know I am looking forward to it.

Just passed Missisippi and Memphis - waved to Craig and Lisa - I don't think they saw me:)

We landed in Atlanta and went to our gate. I called mom, the connection was terrible. We could barely hear each other. We talked for awhile. Got on the next plane for Tallahassee. It was only a 1/2 hour flight. The woman opposite me was terrified. I talked to her after the plane landed, she was OK just really didn't like planes. We went to the baggage claim and hadn't been there for more than a minute when President and Sister Summerhays marched up. Yes, they marched. We loaded up in a massive van with an attached trailer and drove to the Mission Home which is a beautiful Colonial style and huge! We helped Sister Summerhays with dinner which was very elaborate and fancy (china & crystal). I was a little uncomfortable, I didn't feel like I could be myself.

We all had individual interviews with President, it was very personal and touching. I only spent a few minutes with him but I felt I knew him and he knew me. There was a powerful spirit in that room.

We then sat down for a very long meeting covering important things like safety, who to call when you need something, cell phones. All very good things, but I could barely keep my eyes open. Oh, and this whole time I'm sneezing up a storm. My allergies kicked in and I was a snotty mess. President then told us where we'd be going, drum roll please, I'm staying in Tallahassee to work at the 3 different Universities here. Florida State University (FSU), Tallahassee Community College (TCC), and Florida Agricultural Mechanical University (FAMU) it is considered the "black" college and we will go there on Fridays 'cause they have stomp competitions and there are big crowds for us to mingle and talk to. The ward I'll be working with is a Singles Ward and I'll also be helping with the Institute.

After we got our assignments we had a testimony meeting and I finally got to go to bed.

No comments: